An apple a day takes on a whole new meaning for menopause women. It not only keeps the doctor away but may be the answer to keeping the hot flushes at bay also.
Health Benefits of Apples
- Ursolic acid: apples contain a compound called ursolic acid that dramatically reduces muscle weakness and atrophy by encouraging muscle mass. It also increases brown fat. The combined effect being an increased metabolism and increased fat burning capabilities.
- Boron: female hormones are easily unbalanced without enough boron. One of the main reasons for hot flushes is the sudden drop in oestrogen. Boron is needed to increase and balance out estrogen levels. The flesh of an apple contains the trace mineral boron, which helps keep energy levels high and also appears to curb calcium loss that can lead to osteoporosis.
- Pectin: helps to keep your blood sugar levels stable by becoming a sticky get when it gets wet once inside the stomach, thus slowing the absorption of the natural sugar, fructose, that apples contain.
Here is a wonderful recipe for you to enjoy.
- 6 cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 pinches nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons sugar (optional, according to your taste)
Mix all the ingredients in a casserole dish, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes in the oven @180C/350F.
Can serve with fresh cream or Greek yoghurt.
RN, ND, BHSc, Author & Speaker